until we meet again

A

Anonymous

Hi there!,
I'm a tattoo artist working on a design, and wish to translate a phrase from english into latin..I have used the forum in the past and have always found you guys so helpful!, this is the first place I look when in need of latin inspiration!...The phrase I am hoping to translate is: "until we meet again"
..I would be really gratefull for anyone's help, thanks for your time..

Chamaeleo

Re: tattoo artist requires help with a translation!

I believe it would be something like ‘Dōnec rursus conveniāmus’.

A

Anonymous

That's great! Thanks for your help Chamaeleo, well appreciated!

Chamaeleo

You're welcome.

You should probably wait for others to comment before using it.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

I would use future II here: Donec rursus convenerimus. This has been discussed before; that's where I drew my info. Do correct if I err.

Chamaeleo

OK, future perfect rather than future simple. But what about the subjunctive? It's not mentioned there. From what I gather dōnec takes the subjunctive if purpose is implied. I'm no expert on this, though.

B

Bitmap

Yes, you also happen to find these kinds of clauses with the subjunctive, especially in sentences like "wait until ..."; I'd have to look it up to tell you what the subjunctive really implies though :p

Chamaeleo

Actually, I suppose that ‘until’ is not being in any literal sense here. It's just something you say as a farewell. The most appropriate translation may be ‘Valē’.

Does anyone know of any more specific farewells in Latin? Many languages (including the Romance languages) have ways of saying goodbye until a specific future time. For example, ‘Until Saturday then!’ or ‘See you on Saturday!’

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I think the subjunctive works well here, since the sentiment is "farewell until we meet again". With vale implied, it would mean "be strong until we (and so that we may) meet again".

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Convenerimus can be construed also as subjunctive here then as well as future perfect indicative?

Chamaeleo

mattheus dixit:
Convenerimus can be construed also as subjunctive here then as well as future perfect indicative?
Well, isn't that convenient?! :)

But when we use subjunctive, is it still supposed to be a perfect form?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

That I don't know; I simply noticed the word can be either/or. (perf.subj/fut.perf.ind.)

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

You wouldn't use a perfect subjunctive with the present or future tense, which is what imperatives are by their very nature.

Christos

Hello everyone. i wanna have a new tattoo about two friends of mine that died. Can anyone please translate 'Εις το επανιδειν' to latin ? 'Εις το επανιδειν' is in greek language. In english it sort of means 'We shall meet again' / 'until the day we will meet again'.
Thanks guys.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Merged threads