Love Always and Forever

A

Anonymous

I want to get a bracelet engraved with a special message that my wife and I have always used. I thought it would be nice to at least know what the latin version of this saying is, maybe even possibly have it engraved in latin.

To this end, can anyone help me with a translation of 'always and forever', I think 'always and' is 'semper et', and is 'forever' 'umquam'?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Graham

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

Re: Help

piggy_banks dixit:
can anyone help me with a translation of 'always and forever', I think 'always and' is 'semper et', and is 'forever' 'umquam'?

Graham
Semper et in perpetuum is probably best; Usquam is more like "at any (particular) time" (for latin students, cf. numquam, its exact opposite).

There is an obvious difficulty in translating such idiomatic phrases into Latin. The shaded difference in English meaning between "always" and "forever" (words which have the same basic definition) is subtle enough to be overlooked in other languages. It's difficult to give a Latin version that captures this delicacy (same for French, Spanish, etc.), but I'll stand by semper et in perpetuum.